Daniel Pink wrote in Drive that what really motivates us is Autonomy, Mastery & Purpose.
The idea of mastery creates thinking for each of us –
According to Master Shi Heng Yi there are 5 hindrances you must remove to accomplish this –
- WHAT am I good at?
- What do I WANT to be good at?
- Am I willing to do the WORK to be a master?
As I reflected on these hindrances, I can see (and have seen) how they create a cloud that prevents me from moving forward as effectively as I could. How do you get over these? Master Shi recommends getting caught in the RAIN
- Sensual Desire – Following temptation of your senses that you stop your forward movement
- Ill Will – Negative emotion towards an object, situation or person
- Heaviness – mental of physical effort that holds you back
- Unsettled Mind – Not being in the moment or jumping from thing to thing
- Skeptical Doubt – Indecisive or clouded mind creating being stuck
Stuck? Go out in the Rain!!
- Recognize which hindrance you are stuck in
- Accept that you are there (and accept how people are – you can’t change THEM)
- Investigate what is keeping you there (ask questions)
- Non-identify – see that you are made up of the mind, body and emotion and how will you move forward